Thursday, February 7, 2013

A few things to get started...


I have long considered trying to blog, but never quite got around to it.  Along with blogging through the years, a number of spiritual directors and other wise folks have said that I should consider journaling as a good spiritual exercise... I suppose people journal in order to understand and honor the trajectory of their lives and spiritual journey.  I suppose people journal in order to concretize and articulate the inner movings of their heart.  I never found those consolations, as I have always had a tendency to be way too critical of my writing, probably rooted in pride and the tendency of placing form over function... the act of writing over what was written.

Readers may know however, I have been turned completely inside out in the last couple of months.  At this point, pride is the least of my concerns, making a new attempt at blog-journaling, perhaps, a less self-conscious exercise.  Being broken open has helped me get in touch with a creative core in my soul that needs to find a way out.

I don't intend (at this time) to speak explicitly about my crisis here, except to say that the official statement from Bishop Paprocki at www.dio.org sets the record straight and puts down all of the harassment, defamation, and libel found around the Internet and from the harmful rumor, innuendo, and speculation from people who think they know the story from 'someone who heard...'

Going forward, I am finding that I really do have a lot to say that can be molded into, I hope, creative and edifying blog reflections and discussions.  In doing so, I am going to pull no punches... a large part of this is about my own healing... physical, mental, and spiritual.  In addition, this blog is also allowing me to 'heal' my Internet reputation which has taken such a pounding in the last month.  I am going to be very narrow on the comments I will accept on this blog at this time... you will need to be registered and all comments will be moderated.  Sorry.  There is no freedom of speech here, except for me.  This will, hopefully, loosen up over time as I get better at the mechanics of blogging and as the storm around me subsides a bit more.  I do invite your references and cross-postings on other blogs, as well as +1's and other good deeds that will raise the stature and presence of this blog.

-- Fr. Tom Donovan