Friday, May 3, 2013

Steve Jobs at Stanford (2005)

I'm writing a series that will appear on this blog in the next couple weeks about pain and loss, perseverence and 'comeback' in the Christian journey.  Yeah, there's a slight connection with my life, but I'll get into all of that later.  One of the articles I am writing brought me back to Steve Jobs' Commencement Address to Stanford University in 2005.  I had not seen it since that time, and oh, it means ever so much to me now.  There's a line that is jumping out for me in my personal life, that I'd like to share, and hopefully encourage you, my readers, who may be facing challenges in your lives:
 
"I had been rejected, but I was still in love.  And so I decided to start over.  I didn't see it then, but it turned out that getting fired from Apple was the best thing that could have ever happened to me.  The heaviness of being successful was replaced by the lightness of being a beginner again, less sure about everything.  It freed me to enter one of the most creative periods of my life...  I'm pretty sure none of this would have happened if I hadn't been fired from Apple.  It was awful-tasting medicine, but I guess the patient needed it.  Sometimes life's going to hit you in head with a brick.  Don't lose faith.  I am convinced that the only thing that kept me going is that I loved what I did.  You've got to find what you love.  And that is as true for work and for you lovers.  Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work.  And the only way to to great work is to love what you do.  If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle.  As with all matters of the heart, you will know when you find it.  And like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on..."  (quote starts at 6:54)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean. I reserve the right to use or delete any comments in any way I see fit. This ain't a democracy. Get your own blog if you don't like it.